Have you ever noticed that some people just seem to always be so well put together, while others, seem to always miss the mark? It's not about the pricetag as much as it is about the pairing. It's perfectly acceptable to mix a TSE cashmere sweater with a pair of Old Navy jeans (if those are what fits you best.) It's perfectly acceptable to mix costume and real jewelry. It's perfectly acceptable to mix casual and dressy. And, it's perfectly acceptable to take classic pieces and make them your own.
Greatly influenced by my mother and maternal grandmother, I describe my style as classic with a twist. I like to take the classics and play them up. I like to look timeless yet modern with bright bold color and patterns. While I love all things elegant, graceful and sophisticated, I don't take myself too seriously - and playful, whimsical and unexpected elements are a must!
A classic wardrobe is one that has items both new and old, but has been cultivated for many years.It's not about the label so much as the fit. A classic wardrobe is a wardrobe that fits well with a few well-made pieces of great quality. Well made classic items not only never fade from style, but if well maintained will truly stand the tests of time. There's no need to get rid of your favorite cashmere sweater simply because you got it when you graduated college. If it has been cared for well it may last long enough to pass on to your own daughter! There's no need to toss aside that perfectly tailored navy Ralph Lauren blazer simply because it was your first real purchase. Simply give it a fresh modern-day look by pairing it with a pair of cigarette pants or your boyfriend jeans. Believe it or not, the best way to update your wardrobe is not by shopping for items that are trendy, but those that are classic.
A classic wardrobe is never without:
- A little black dress - We think the more the merrier.
- A little white dress
- A classic tweed Chanel-style jacket
- A well tailored blazer (navy/black/beige/off-white)
- A beige trench coat/camel's hair coat
- Classic pumps (black/neutral/grey/red)
- Classic ballet flats (black/beige/red/pink)
- A pair of well fitted denim jeans
- A pair of white jeans
- A pair of tailored black pants
- A pair of cigarette pants
- A gingham shirt
- A white dress shirt
- A striped shirt
- A cashmere sweater, pull-over
- A cashmere sweater, cardigan
- A pair of tortoise shell sunglasses
- A leopard print anything (bag/coat/shoes)
- A nice silk scarf (to be worn many ways)
- Classic patterns (stripes/houndstooth/check/tartan)
- Pearls! (The more the merrier!)
While classic colors are grey, black, navy, white and beige, these are often punctuated by bright pops of red, yellow, pink, green and blues.