It all came about with an absolutely massive zucchini that had been sitting in a large glass bowl on my kitchen counter. I had been eyeing it surreptitiously for days. What to do with it? Slice it up to saute? Toss it into a ratatouille? Grill it up? Make some zucchini "spaghetti"? Nothing really appealed to me and so the swollen green squash sat and sat and sat and sat. And then as I was perusing through my refrigerator in search of something healthy and delicious. I spied a fresh carton of local eggs and then the idea of a frittata came to me, but this frittata needed something. It needed that great big zucchini. And it needed some potato, and a little bit of onion, salt and pepper. And ta-da, after some shredding and baking I had the loveliest, healthiest breakfast. Serve it up on its own, or as a side for brunch as a lighter healthier alternative to quiche.
1 3/4 cups of shredded zucchini
1 medium sized red potato, shredded (skin on)
Scant 2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup of shredded cheese - I used a combination of cheddar, jack and mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Fit your food processor with a shredder blade (or shred manually) and shred the zucchini and potato. Place in a bowl or on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb some of the moisture.
- In a large saute pan add 1 - 2 tbs of olive oil and gently saute the zucchini and potato until golden brown. You may prefer to separate into two batches for faster results.
- When golden brown set aside.
- Whisk eggs together in a very large bowl. Add the salt and pepper and add the zucchini and the potato. Mix well.
- Pour into a glass pie plate and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the top and bake for 10 minutes as it forms a deep, golden crust.
This recipe is gluten free. For a dairy and gluten free version make without the cheese.