15 Summer wardrobe essentials :: We've got you covered from head to toe!
This summer's musts are many, luckily for our wallets, many are repeat items from summers and years past... Classics, after all, never fade from style and sometimes these timeless sleepers become trends again. Whether you need a wardrobe refresher, complete overhaul, or are looking for a couple of key items, the following not only have universal appeal, but cross any age and size barriers... In essence, not only are they timeless and stylish but they're virtually one style suits all! Whether your budget is better suited for the Gap or for Nordstrom's, you'll find these favorites everywhere.
1. A pretty, wide brimmed straw hat to keep out the sun's ray is a must. From the flower market to the farmer's market to the beach. Not only will a pretty hat protect your skin, scalp and hair, it just looks pretty whether worn with jeans, shorts or a pretty dress.
2. An oversized straw bag - Do make sure it is a sturdy one. Some of them can be quite flimsy and we need our bags to be pretty and practical! From office to cocktail hour, or from farmer's market to beach, a simple straw bag is the ultimate summer accessory. Perfect for toting a paperback, sunscreen, sunglasses, water, keys, lipstick and phone, there's still plenty of room for any last minutes add-ins... as in I just had to get that adorable cardigan I saw in the storefront window!
3. Sunglasses - Always in style, always important to have, but especially in the summer when the days are brighter and longer. Luckily for our own style preferences and face shapes, it seems that everything goes these days, though I have been seeing many Aviator style glasses with blue lenses lately.
4. Little White Sneakers - The little white sneaker is so versatile and is the perfect summer shoe for those who plan on traveling (near or far) and sightseeing this summer. Sensible and pairs well with dresses or jeans. I've been crushing on the Adidas Stan Smith for a while now, and I love that in addition to the classic green, they're available with black, navy and red trims. I think the navy is my favorite.
5. Swing dresses are perfect for a hot summer's day. This loose and carefree style is very forgiving and flatters many body shapes. Quite frankly there are just days you don't want to suck it in or wear spanx! They seem to be quite the rage and you'll find them everywhere from J. McLaughlin to Anthropologie.
6. Lace up shoes seem are all the rage. Whether in a heel or flat, these shoes are flirty and feminine and complement any wardrobe.
7. Beige pumps, sling backs or slides. Neutral is always a great look for spring. While white shoes are technically permissible after Memorial Day, unless they're a pair of ballet flats or sandals, I prefer a neutral color shoe for a classic and sophisticated look. White shoes don't always work or look right.
8. Wedge sandals - The wedge which saw a new popularity a couple of summers ago and will remain a strong presence this summer. Especially for shorter girls like myself!
9. Anything off the shoulder - The off-the-shoulder look is hot right now and I love it. I think every woman's best asset is her shoulders... so set them free. Whether a top paired with pants or in dress form, you'll want to pick up several!
10. White jeans - A perennial favorite that never goes out of favor or style. Although now it's perfectly acceptable to wear them year round, they are still a warm weather favorite with their ability to lighten and brighten the wardrobe.
11. The tunic - Comfortable, forgiving, versatile. I adore tunics and they're great worn on their own or with a pair of jeans or trousers, with flats or heels. The tunic is a must in every warm weather wardrobe.
12. A little white blouse - As essential as the LBD is to every woman's wardrobe, so is the LWB. Slightly oversized, pressed or naturally air dried, this one shirt is the most versatile of all. From the office, to party to the weekend stroll. One can never have to many little white blouses.
13. In the same vein as the LWB every woman should have a loose gauzy white shirt - More bohemian in flair, this is the perfect item to wear when the sun's rays are particularly hot. The loose, lightweight material will keep you cool and protected from the sun. On the hottest days people tend to bare all, but you'll actually feel cooler if covered up lightly.
14. A kimono or similar cover-up for those slightly cool evenings. Again, slightly bohemian in flair and flavor, these best represent the carefree easy days of summer. The obvious pairing is with jeans, but they look lovely with a simple single colored shift or fitted dress.
15. A long cardigan perfectly compliments everything. Evenings can still be a bit chilly and a duster will allow you to enjoy the outdoors longer and more comfortably!