I love storms. I really do! I love any excuse to hunker down at home! It is important to be prepared for loss of power and the possibility of being stuck at home for a few days -- a tree could come crashing down on your driveway and block your access in and out of your home.
I've put together a list of items to help us all brace the storm!
1.. Water is crucial for drinking and washing and cooking if you have a gas stove top. (Otherwise consider cooking on your your outdoor grill)
2. Beverages that don't require refrigeration... (Entertaining Mom's choice!)
You may want juice boxes for the children...
3. If you have beverages that require refrigeration...
4. You may want to purchase some ice and bring out your coolers...
5. Most importantly a good First Aid kit -- Store bought or made at home filled with:
Tylenol, Motrin or pain reliever of choice -- for your entire family. Do not forget about children and pets
Daily Medications, refill in advance if you are running low
and don't forget any Pet medications you may need
Band-aids and necessary salves
Instant ice packs -- The kind that requires no advance freezing
Formula/needs for newborns and babies
6. Non perishable food items for you and your family...
Especially the kinds that go well with wine!
Your food choices do not need to be unhealthy...
there are plenty of fruits and veggies that can sit out in room temperature... Try some sliced banana with peanut butter or Nutella, or apple slices with peanut butter and honey... apple slices dipped partially in cinnamon sugar...
The PB&J is the perfect power-outage meal!
7. Don't forget a source of lighting...
While candles are lovely and soothing and relaxing, they may not be the greatest option, especially if young children are present. If you decide to burn some candles, please remember do not leave them unattended.
For optimal lighting we at The Entertaining House just love these Coleman lanterns.
These wonderful battery operated lanterns give off enough light to light up an entire room. We have several here in The Entertaining House.
Small flashlights should also be kept in all used rooms.
8. Don't forget a radio so that you may be kept abreast of weather conditions in your area.
9. And make sure your battery supply is well-stocked.
10. When hunkering down at home, gather all your favorite magazines
11. and catch up on all your reading!
12. Have plenty on hand for the kids...
The Entertaining Kids love:
Train sets ... We often combine all of the above to create the most extraordinary cities!
Have plenty of the following on hand too:
Watercolors, paints (this is up to the parent)
Popsicle sticks -- or other craft sticks
Fun ideas for the entire family:
Bring out plastic Easter eggs -- fill them with a goody or spare change -- and hide them. Kids will love this!
Charades -- create your own
Pictionary -- create your own
Write and illustrate a story together
Have an indoor camp-out -- Bring out the tent, flashlights, sandwiches, juice boxes and snacks!
Board games such as:
Chutes and Ladders
Hi Hi Cherry-O
I would love to hear what you do when you are bracing for a storm!